CURRENT 1st GRADE UNIT
1st Grade Science students are finishing their unit on Weather and Space and will be starting their unit onStructures and Behaviors in Living Things
The Structures and Behaviors in Living Things Unit will address the following major understandings:
Students develop an understanding of how plants and animals use their external parts to help them survive, grow, and
meet their needs. They obtain information to determine patterns of behaviors of parents and offspring that help the
offspring survive. Students build upon concepts from previous units to develop connections between light and sound
and how they are essential for the survival of living things. To demonstrate their understanding of structure and function,
students design a solution to a human problem by mimicking how organisms make use of their external parts.
The Structures and Behaviors in Living Things Unit Essential Question:
- What structures and behaviors help plants and animals survive?
The Structures and Behaviors in Living Things Unit will teach the following Key Ideas:
- What are the major sources of life living things need to survive?
- What are some behaviors and patterns among living organisms we can observe?
- The offspring of living organisms are very similar to their parent
Assessment on The Structures and Behaviors in Living Things Unit
- The Structures and Behaviors in Living Things Unit will begin in MAY 2018 and go through the middle of JUNE 2018
- Students will be given a review and parents will be given notice a week ahead of the final assessment in JUNE.
1st GRADE CURRICULUM
Please click the following for the 1st Grade Curriculum NYC Science Scope and Sequence (it begins on page 53 of the document)